Are you interested in joining a proactive and dedicated team of preservationists, historians, and archaeologists? The Pennsylvania State Historic Preservation Office (PA SHPO) is seeking a Historic Preservation Specialist with a discipline in archaeology within the Environmental Review division.
Please note: While the required experience section of this job announcement references architectural/historical survey, PA SHPO is looking for an archaeologist to fill this position.
This is a quirk in the classification series that relates to outdated minimum education and training requirements (METs) and is the case for most of the archaeology positions with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. PA SHPO will work to correct these inaccurate METs for future job openings.
Description of Work
In this position, your responsibilities will include the consideration and protection of archaeological properties affected by state and federal projects; assisting with archaeology education and outreach; and conducting and/or assisting with proactive research, documentation, and survey efforts.
Archaeological research experience, including but not limited to compliance related field work and artifact analysis in the Eastern United States is essential. Knowledge of state and federal preservation programs, regulations and legislation, including The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Preservation is required.
Interested in learning more? Additional details regarding this position can be found in the position description.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING & ELIGIBILITY
Minimum Experience and Training Requirements:
Two or more years of experience working on an architectural survey, an architectural restoration and preservation project or program, and a bachelor’s degree in architectural history, American history, art history, or course work in Pennsylvania history; or
Any equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Meet or exceed the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards.
- More than 1 year of experience working with Geographic Information Systems.
- More than 3 years of experience in archaeological survey and related field work.
- More than 3 years of experience advising and assisting state and/or federal agencies, organizations, Tribes, and/or individuals with the consideration of archaeological properties in their project planning.
- More than 3 years of experience in the processes of the National Register of Historic Places and Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.
Preferred Qualifications (not required):
- Experience working with a team of individuals and independently
- Experience interpreting and applying National Park Service guidance with regards to the evaluation of archaeological properties for eligibility for listing in the National Register of Historic Places
- Experience leading archaeological investigations
- Experience analyzing and synthesizing data sets for technical and/or research purposes
- Experience presenting research at conferences and/or to the public
- Experience working with the pubic and/or volunteers to conduct research projects or training
- Excellent computer and word processing skills using MS Office products and data management systems such as the SHPO’s PA-SHARE.
The commonwealth is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. The commonwealth values inclusion as we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most qualified people to serve the citizens of Pennsylvania. The commonwealth does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, union membership, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, AIDS or HIV status, disability, or any other categories protected by applicable federal or state law. All diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Telework eligible (part-time): You will have the opportunity to work from home (telework) not to exceed 3 days a week. Specific days will be determined by bureau directors according to bureau needs. In order to telework, you must have a securely configured high-speed internet connection. If you are unable to telework, you will have the option to report to the headquarters office in Harrisburg.
APPLY BY 8/2/2022 11:59 PM EST. All applications must be filed online at http://www.employment.pa.gov.
EXTERNAL CANDIDATES: For complete position description, salary and benefits information, and to apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pabureau/jobs/3633497/review-archaeologist-historic-preservation-specialist?department%5b0%5d=Historical%20%26%20Museum%20Commission&sort=PositionTitle%7CAscending&pagetype=promotionalJobs.
INTERNAL (CWOPA) CANDIDATES: For complete position description, salary and benefits information, and to apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pabureau/jobs/3633497/review-archaeologist-historic-preservation-specialist?department%5b0%5d=Historical%20%26%20Museum%20Commission&sort=PositionTitle%7CAscending&pagetype=promotionalJobs.