Are you a highly skilled historic preservationist with National Register and GIS experience? The Pennsylvania State Historic Preservation Office (PA SHPO) is seeking an Historic Preservation Specialist to work as a National Register reviewer and triage specialist, focused on historic districts and survey.
Description of Work
The PA SHPO uses its resources to educate, encourage and enable Pennsylvanians to value and preserve Pennsylvania’s history and culture. Our role is to identify, promote, and protect the architectural and archaeological resources of the commonwealth.
The Historic Preservation Specialist will be responsible for the National Register of Historic Places nomination reviews, determinations of eligibility for the Register, updating data in the PA-SHARE system for eligible and listed properties, and the application of the PA-SHARE Surveyor tool for historic resource surveys.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING & ELIGIBILITY
Minimum Experience and Training Requirements:
- Two or more years of experience working on an architectural survey, an architectural restoration and preservation project or program, and a bachelor’s degree in architectural history, American history, art history or course work in Pennsylvania history; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training.
Condition of Employment:
- This position is headquartered in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. You must be willing and able to work in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania when necessary.
- Meet or exceed the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards. The minimum education and experience required to meet these standards can be found by clicking here.
- At least two years of experience writing National Register of Historic Places nominations, and/or demonstrable experience with nomination development, nomination review and editing, and successful interactions with staff, boards, and federal agencies.
- At least two years of experience interpreting and applying National Park Service guidance and criteria for evaluating archaeological and/or above ground properties for National Register of Historic Places eligibility and listing.
- At least one year of experience in conducting surveys of historic resources.
- You must be able to perform essential job functions.
Preferred Qualifications (not required):
- Experience working with a team of individuals and independently
- Experience using technology and software applications to manage historic resource data, workflows, and workload.
- Experience in developing and implementing public outreach programs, conducting preservation education, and public speaking.
- Excellent computer and word processing skills using MS Office products and data management systems such as the SHPO’s PA-SHARE.
The commonwealth is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. The commonwealth values inclusion as we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most qualified people to serve the citizens of Pennsylvania. The commonwealth does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, union membership, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, AIDS or HIV status, disability, or any other categories protected by applicable federal or state law. All diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Telework eligible (part-time): You will have the opportunity to work from home (telework) not to exceed 3 days a week. Specific days will be determined by bureau directors according to bureau needs. In order to telework, you must have a securely configured high-speed internet connection. If you are unable to telework, you will have the option to report to the headquarters office in Harrisburg.
APPLY BY 8/20/2022 11:59 PM EST. All applications must be filed online at http://www.employment.pa.gov/.
For complete position description, salary and benefits information, and to apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pabureau/jobs/3642093/historic-preservation-specialist?department%5b0%5d=Historical%20%26%20Museum%20Commission&sort=PositionTitle%7CAscending&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs.