Are you interested in joining a proactive and dedicated team of historic preservationists, historians, archaeologists, and planners? The Pennsylvania State Historic Preservation Office (PA SHPO) is seeking a Historic Preservation Specialist with a discipline in architectural history or history within the Environmental Review Division.
Description of Work
The PA SHPO uses its resources to educate, encourage, and enable Pennsylvanians to value and preserve Pennsylvania’s history and culture. This position will conduct and assist with proactive research, documentation and survey efforts associated with the consideration of above ground historic properties affected by state or federal projects.
Minimum Experience and Training Requirements
- Two or more years of experience working on an architectural survey, an architectural restoration and preservation project or program, and a bachelor’s degree in architectural history, American history, art history or course work in Pennsylvania history or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training.
Necessary Special Requirement
- This position requires possession of valid Class C driver’s license.
- Meet or exceed the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards by having the following:
- A graduate degree in architectural history, history, art history, historic preservation or a closely related field with coursework in American architectural history OR bachelor’s degree in architectural history, history, art history, historic preservation or a closely related field plus one of the following:
- At least two years of full-time experience in research, writing, or teaching American architectural history or restoration architecture with an academic institution, historical organization or agency, museum, or other professional institution; OR Substantial contribution through research and publication to the body of scholarly knowledge in the field of American Architectural history.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, the National Register of Historic Places, the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation, and the Pennsylvania State History Code.
- Demonstrable experience in advising and assisting state and federal agencies, organizations, and/or individuals with the consideration of above ground historic properties in their project planning.
- Demonstrable experience leading above ground historic resource surveys.
- Demonstrable experience presenting research at conferences and/or to the public.
- Demonstrable experience working with the public and/or volunteers to conduct research projects or training.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Demonstrate excellent ability working with a team of individuals and independently.
- At least three years of above ground resource survey and/or related field work experience.
- Experience and/or expertise in any of the following areas:
- Historic Preservation
- Data Management
- Programmatic Agreements/Memoranda of Understanding
- Application of the Secretary of Interior’s Standard for the Treatment of Historic Properties
- Project Management
- Public Education (including developing training programs and materials)
- Public Communication
- Applying National Register criteria/using historic contexts/determining the significance of above ground historic properties
- Coordinating and/or conducting site visits and meetings to advise and assist partners.
- You must be able to perform the essential job functions.
The commonwealth is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. The commonwealth values inclusion as we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most qualified people to serve the citizens of Pennsylvania. The commonwealth does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, union membership, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, AIDS or HIV status, disability, or any other categories protected by applicable federal or state law. All diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Work Schedule and Additional Information
- Full-time employment
- Work hours are 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday – Friday, with 60-minute lunch.
- Telework: You may have the opportunity to work from home (telework) part-time. In order to telework, you must have a securely configured high-speed internet connection. If you are unable to telework, you will have the option to report to the headquarters office in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
- Salary: In some cases, the starting salary may be non-negotiable.
- You will receive further communication regarding this position via email. Check your email, including spam/junk folders, for these notices.
Apply by 9/20/2023 11:59 PM Eastern. All applications must be filed online at http://www.employment.pa.gov.
For complete position description, salary and benefits information, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pabureau/jobs/4173825/above-ground-environmental-reviewer-historic-preservation-specialist.