The Community Initiative Award from the State Historic Preservation Office (PA SHPO) recognizes organizations, municipalities, agencies, individuals, and others whose work embodies the theme of Pennsylvania’s recently released statewide historic preservation plan, #PreservationHappensHere.
What is #PreservAtionHappensHere?
#PreservationHappensHere is the idea that great preservation activities are happening every day across Pennsylvania. These activities may or, may not be thought of as historic preservation, nevertheless, need to be discovered, shared, and celebrated!
How are candidates selected?
Candidates are identified in a few different ways:
- By PA SHPO staff and colleagues through social media outlets, traditional press reporting, and projects;
- Through tracking of the #PreservAtionHappensHere hashtag on social media sites; and
- With stories emailed to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted through the #PreservAtionHappensHere story link.
Each year, usually in the fall, PA SHPO assembles a list of all potential candidates. This list is narrowed down to ten candidates; PA SHPO staff then vote for the three (or four in the case of a tie) winners.
How to Enter
It is the easiest award application ever!
Simply use the #PreservationHappensHere hashtag when posting on social media, email me, or tell us about your #PreservationHappensHere story here.
There is no formal application or deadline for the Community Initiative Awards. Entries are reviewed each year, typically in the fall, after PHMC’s #PreservAtionHappensHere/Historic Preservation Month social media campaign in May and June and the summer construction season have ended.
What is the award?
The Community Initiative Award is a time capsule (yes, a real time capsule!) for you to commemorate your project and a framed certificate. Your preservation story will also be featured in a post on this blog, in the PA SHPO newsletters, and through PHMC’s social media outlets.
Please note that there are no strings attached to this award! Acceptance of the Community Initiative Award does not require that the property is opened to the public for visitation, does not require the owner to comply with any state or federal regulation, and does not automatically grant the property any historic status.
We are only interested in recognizing your efforts to save and celebrate the places that are important to you and your community.
How will we receive this award?
Preservation is happening were you are, so it is only fitting that we bring the award to you! We also believe that the community that helped achieve the preservation outcome being recognized can join in the celebration, too.
Taking the awards on the road is one of the PA SHPO’s new initiatives that is getting a trial run in spring 2020.
To date, PA SHPO has given ten Community Initiative Awards. They are:
- Mahoning Drive-In Theatre (Mahoning, Carbon County)
- Fighter’s Heaven (Deer Lake, Schuylkill County)
- Lazaretto (Tinicum, Delaware County)
- Roxian Theater (McKees Rocks, Allegheny County)
- Walk In Art Center (Schuylkill Haven, Schuylkill County)
- Jefferson County History Center (Brookfille, Jefferson County)
- Redbank Valley Trails Association (Clarion County)
- Bradford Revitalization Team (Bradford, McKean County)
- East Liberty Development Inc. (Pittsburgh, Allegheny County)
- Hidden City Philadelphia (Philadelphia, Philadelphia County)
If you are looking for some examples of #PreservationHappensHere posts, you can find some examples online by typing #PreservationHappensHere into the search box of your favorite social media site and take a few minutes to scroll through to see who is posting and what they are posting.
And, you can always reach out to your favorite PA SHPO staffer with questions or get in touch with me at email@example.com or (717) 574-8232.